A Dad's Promise TO NEVER FORGET

I was driving to work at the restaurant on a crisp blue skied  Tuesday.  As I was driving down the hill jamming out to my morning pearl jam on the radio.  The emergency broadcast system cut in stating that a small plane was believed to hit the world trade center in NYC.  I got to work and turned on the TV in the bar of the restaurant.  On it was MSNBC or Fox or just about every morning show showing a long shot of one of the towers smoking & on fire.  I sat and watched in disbelief as a wider view was showing a huge plane speeding into the second tower.  I was alone, completely alone.  My wife was at school and I couldn't talk to her.  Our employees were not there yet.  I was alone, watching a horror in life that I thought only existed in science fiction.  Eventually the lunch crew arrived, by then, I had spoken to the owners and it was decided that there would be no service on this day.  Problem was that we had 4 food deliveries scheduled to arrive to us that day.  It is selfish to think that I had to sit there alone and try and understand when 300 miles away, people were literally jumping out of a burning building to choose their way to go as opposed to what was heinously chosen for them.

Soon, I saw 2 fighter jets flying very very low over Akron if only for a couple of seconds.  But the roar of their burners were scary as there was more to this story.  Clearly, there was a reason they were flying with such urgency.  They didn't quite make it.  Thankfully, if you can say it that way, that flight never made it's destination in D.C.

Ten years later, I shared some emotion with my 7 year old as it watched the families of so many lost, walk into the memorial in NYC sobbing and still very much wounded.  When such raw emotion is on display, it is clearly easy to get lost in your own emotion.  I looked over to Cameron saying to me, "Dad, you okay?"  I looked at him, smiled & said let's get ready for church.  Tonight, Cam asked me to cuddle with him, he didn't know why he wanted to but he said he felt "weird about why those buildings fell down".  I feel weird about it too Cameron.  Thanks for cuddling with me.

I promise that I WILL NEVER FORGET & I will teach my boys all about this tragedy & how to be good human beings!

Quinney

Popular Posts