A Fanatical Event!

Sometimes, with my job, I have the ability to take part in some monumental things!  I live in a world of food and whether you eat to sustain life or cook because it's therapeutic or, you love to explore what food just is...  This might be the post for you!  This week, I got to participate in a culinary event in a place I knew pretty well from growing up; Myrtle Beach.  And, before you say, that sounds more like a vacation than a job, remember this.  I spent 4 days in the kitchen of a convention center under fluorescent lights & hot ovens.  I did see the beach... for about 10 minutes... at night.... I did go to some good places to eat... way too late and not really hungry.  Only to get up at 4:30 am to work a 16 hour day...  But, I LOVED IT!!!!  Chef Rocco Paradiso, thank you for the inclusion, true besties!

As I said before, it was a monumental event featuring over 30 chefs from our company in a true culinary environment for 6500 hungry customers over a 7 hour period.  I got a chance to explore my creative side and serve it along side of what might be "the best pork cheeks, roasted collard greens and grits" I have EVER had!  Chef Denny Trantham is a true southern culinary mastermind!  Chef Jason Scarborough was a wizard with green tea deviled eggs and crispy chicken skin.  Chef Rob Johnson rocked out homemade s'mores with smoked chocolate... SMOKED chocolate!!!  I also got to hang with many other chefs that are truly my "Band of Brothers" and make up the best culinary team in the country!  I was so inspired that I decided to think about how this was my 2nd home; this was where my family spent so much time growing up... and, eating salt water taffy...  There it was!  Salt Water Taffy!!!  Also attached are some pics from my friends dishes as well.

Cheers!
Quinney

Espresso Rubbed Pork Belly with a Bacon Cashew Salt Water Taffy

for belly:

1 raw pork belly
1 c. espresso grounds (or other strong coffee)
2 c. light brown sugar
1 c. Cajun seasoning
1/2 c. cocoa powder

Method:

1.preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.place pork belly in deep sided oven pan.
3.in bowl, combine espresso, sugar, seasoning and chocolate.  mix well.
4.cover entire top of belly with rub.  The thicker, the better!
5.place uncovered in oven for 20-30 minutes.
6.turn down heat to 225 degrees, add 1 cup of water and roast for 2-3 hours.
7.let stand at room temperature for 30-40 minutes.
8.transfer to refrigerator to chill overnight.
9.slice into cubes.
10. crisp up on flat top or large saute pan.

for taffy:
Quinney's espresso belly and salt water taffy

2 c. sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1/2 c. lightly salted water
1 c. salted butter
2 c. cashews
1 1/2 c. cooked chopped bacon
1/2 c. rendered bacon fat from bacon
1 T. baking soda

method:
1.butter 2 large baking sheets
2.combine sugar, corn syrup and water in large sauce pot over medium heat. 8-12 minutes or until sugar is dissolved
3.add butter and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes
4.add cashews, bacon and bacon fat, stirring pretty constant on lower heat, 10-12 minutes
5.remove from heat and stir in baking soda
Chef Jason Scarborough's braised chicken thighs
6.pour mixture onto prepared oven pans, spreading evenly
7.refrigerate overnight
8.let set at room temperature and pull with hands to form taffy
Chef Denny Trantham's 9 grain rice pudding with coffee ice cream

Chef Rob Johnson's smoked s'mores

Chef Rob Johnson's sous vide scallops




Food Fanatics Interactive Kitchen

Popular Posts