Best Weekend Ever! Mardi Gras en Mai

Let's just say that this week was hell!  It was also exhilarating, crazy, fun, angry, festive & unlike any other that I have EVER experienced in my life!!!  I was able to create a menu that I have never done before, work with some of the best guys a guy could ask for, deal with traffic, a fire alarm, flat tires, not enough seats, friends looking for tickets, 2 late entry menu requests & a deep fryer that wouldn't light!.....Oh yeah, that was just what happened on Friday before 6 pm...  After 6 pm, something a little more surreal happened.  A restaurant that has been closed for some time was transformed into a Mardi Gras reality, guests showed up unaware of any of the trangressions that happened just hours, minutes before they arrived!

This is an emerging chefs event by the way.  You see, their mantra, bold flavors, bold venues isn't just that.  It is also a grandious ballet of locations with no power, sometimes no running water & no real chance of being a restaurant any time soon... except, vision is seeing beyond that and creating an event that puts these things aside so that you, me, they can all be a part in conducting this masterful orchestra with a commanding attitude. 

For all the trials that I endured throughout the day, the "proof" as they say "is in the pudding".  I have never cooked cajun/creole food before so I knew the challenge that lay before me.  So, I set out on my quest to not only do cajun food but, do it righteous!  I created, recreated, overthought and finally gave in to a menu that seemed would easily defeat me, but; I kept my wits and did what I felt natural, I created!

First out of the gate was the Amuse(small bite)- An olive oil & black pepper infused cracker cut in the shape of half of a Fleur-de-lis.  Accompanied by a puree of spicy jambalaya & micro mustard greens.

Amuse
Next, which was actually the first course was an etouffee stuffed pierogi with a crispy cornmeal crusted crawfish tail & a basil creme fraiche as well as shaved scallions.  etouffee is a lot like gumbo except that it is more regal in thought, chefs slowly craft their roux to get just the right brownness and flavor that they are looking for.

Etouffee Pierogi with Sweet Basil Creme Fraiche & crispy Crawfish tail

Next up, Muffalatta Points with a Seared Scallop Medallion, Sea Scallop Mousse topped with a little tangerine sugar.  The points themselves had all the goodness of the classic NOLA dish complete with olive tapenade!  Salty, yet sweetness hit your mouth as the subtle mousse tricked your palate and the tangerine sugar brought it home.
Muffalatta Points with Sea Scallop Mousse & Tangerine Sugar

Dinner is just getting started when it was time for a little VOODOO!!!  Nothing speaks to the undertones of New Orleans like a little black magic!  I prepared this dish using a classic marinade incorporating Worcestershire sauce, cilantro & Southern Comfort.  A spice broth of sweet Thai chili sauce, sesame oil, cilantro & once again, Southern Comfort join the party into a festive dish that was prepared in a live dry ice smoking voodoo bowl!!!
VooDoo Chicken with dry ice

Time for a mid evening treat everyone!  Keeping with the festiveness that is Emerging Chefs, I wanted to push my culinary talents to the edge as well as the assembled group of followers that had come for a taste bud thrusting dinner.  I incorporated a treat from my childhood...A Popsicle, yep, a Popsicle but, this one was made for mature audiences.  Layers of fresh mango were punched in the mouth by little bits of habanero peppers folded in so slightly to add a little PiZaZZ to an otherwise simple taste.  I layered it atop a little fresh mango salsa with a few extra pieces of the habanero for an extra kick!
Mango Habanero Popsicle
Dinner is served!!!  I encrusted a 3 oz portion of a veal strip loin with a rub of rich flavors including coffee beans, Cajun spice, cocoa & brown sugar.  As if that wasn't enough, I decided to partner this veal up with a fritter infused with fresh vegetables including zucchini, red peppers, corn & red onions.  A side of haricot verts in a simple saute would be enough right???  Not Emerging Chef style!  A glace of veal demi spiked with Dr. Pepper for a richness of sweet & savory.  A last touch of Dr. Pepper Jelly Bellies skewered completed this little bit!

Espresso Rubbed Veal Strip with Corn Fritter & Dr. Pepper Glace
Fin

To round out the evening, a classic beignet & cafe Au lait were served.  Beignets are a light, airy fried dough traditionally served with lots of powdered sugar!  I know that Cafe Du Monde is the best...at least, that's what my wife says!  I'll take a close second, according to more than a few guests of the evening.  I served them as playtime!  Make your own confection.  Yep, family style with chocolate ganache, creme anglaise & a sugar medley that included vanilla bean, raspberry, espresso and lime infused sugars! 

Beignets Family Style
A grab and go of a classic king cupcake helped our guests hit the bricks with a parting thought...Am I in Cleveland or, did I just eat dinner in the French Quarter?  Whatever the answer, mine remains the same.  To now be an "Emerging Chef" is taken as an honor.  It is and will be a very proud moment in my life that I was able to share with some dear friends, some helped me cook...

Adam Smith, Your Truly, Chris McCarthy, Rocco Paradiso & Bill Brooks
And some loved ones too.  One love in particular has been by my side for half of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way!  To my Girl, All my love is because of the happiness that I share with you!  I love you in ways that I cannot even try to describe!!!  You are the best!  For my Wife, Sheri.
The love of my life!  Sheri Quinn

Popular Posts