People and Pasta... The need for Semolina!

On Tuesdays from 2000- 2002, I taught myself how to make pasta.  I used an ingredient (semolina) that was as familiar to me as the words remoulade & creme brulee at the time.  I was the chef at an Italian restaurant in the valley of Akron.  We mostly utilized pasta that was dry and therefore, less labor was needed to cook it to Al Dente!  I had a need to learn.  6 years staring at the same four walls for 65-80 hours a week seems to wear on you thin after a while... 

We had a chef coming from Italy to visit with us in a few months in 2001 and I wanted to be sure that I could do some things so that he wouldn't think I was an absolute idiot, so, I taught... and I learned.... trial and error... and error... and error.  Then, it all seemed to come together as I refined my skills.  To the point where, I started producing pasta homemade in the middle of the dining room.  A Stage show for some, a learning lab for me.  I think of these moments often.  Those moments when I start to figure something out and out of that, something new always seems to blossom!

Here's a pasta picture produced by a friend of the family over the weekend with my adapted recipe version attached!

Cheers!
Quinney



Simple Italian Pesto Noodles

1 lb cooked radiatore noodles
2 lb cleaned fresh basil
1 1/2 t. chopped fresh garlic 
2 T. toasted pine nuts
1 T. toasted walnuts
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 c. Romano cheese, grated
1 to 1 1/2 c. olive oil
fresh basil leaves
fresh peeled Parmesan cheese
8-10 pitted kalamata olives

Method:

In food processor, combine basil, garlic, both nuts and cheeses on high.  slowly pour in olive oil and continue on high until smoother consistency is achieved.  Toss cooked pasta in pesto sauce, plate, garnish with olives, basil leaves and peeled cheese.
Can be served hot, room temperature or cold!!!


Popular Posts