My, My, Mahi

In our house, the word fish well... It just does not exist.  I know, sad but true.  My lovely has an aversion to the aftertaste of even the mildest form of sea creature.  And, my boys.... Forget it.  Tough news for a chef right?  Kinda.  See, I was raised in the steel valley and dinner almost always included some form of meat and potatoes.  So, I never really ate much seafood frankly until I got this gig!  I could cook the "you know what" out of it but, as for eating it, ehh, not so much.  I have however, become comfortable with eating fresh fish in either sushi form or, I can even enjoy a very high quality battered fish as well.

With Lent fast approaching, I wanted to give a different spin on fried fish.  Enjoy!

Cheers!
Quinney


Quinnians' Mahi Mahi Tortillas

4 mahi mahi portions, 6 oz (sliced into 1-1/2 oz pieces on paper towel)
2 c. batter mix (tempura or other will work fine)
3/4 to 1 c. Killian's beer
1/2 t. Cajun seasoning
1 bag shredded coleslaw mix
1/4 c coleslaw dressing
1/4 c teriyaki sauce or Korean BBQ sauce
4-6 flour tortillas (4.5")
2 avocados, sliced
oil for frying
2 red onions, sliced thin
1/4 c. sugar
salt and pepper
2 T. olive oil

Method:

1. in bowl, mix together batter mix, beer and Cajun seasoning.
2. heat oil for frying in medium sauce pot on medium high heat (just until flakes of batter start to crisp when tested). Control the heat temperature as you add each batch of mahi mahi.
3. dredge mahi mahi in batter and fry in oil until golden brown.  Transfer to oven pan to finish in oven 2-3 minutes.
4. in separate bowl, mix together coleslaw mix, dressing and teriyaki or Korean BBQ sauce well.  let set at room temperature to let slaw start to wilt.
5. in small saute pan, heat onions, sugar, oil, salt and pepper on low heat until caramelized. (8-10 minutes)
6. toast tortillas in dry saute pan on high heat for 5 seconds each side.
7. build tacos with slaw on top of the tortilla topped by mahi, sliced avocado and finally caramelized onions.

Popular Posts