Mom friendly... Kid approved!

Dad,  Can you teach us how to make macaroni & cheese your way?  Honey, can you cook dinner tonight?  Dad, can we have chicken nuggets, french fries, chocolate milk & ketchup tonight?  These are questions that I can and do answer regularly.  I speak of them tongue & cheek because, it's not often that Sheri asks me to cook at all & it seems that 2 of my 3 boys have an aversion to anything that requires work or what looks or feels like work in the kitchen these days.  And, as for little E, he just wants old dad to play with him all the time:)  I am going to do my best to make this year the year of teaching all my boys the Joy of Food!  I want to share that with all of you as well.  So, let's begin at the end... of 2014 that is.  Here's a little recipe that is inspired from my lovely wife about one of her favorite dishes.  I have added a little twist to make it my own.

Cheers,
Quinney



Quin-donesian Fried Rice

3 c basmati or jasmine rice
6 c chicken stock
1 T butter
Kosher salt & cracked black pepper (to taste)
1 carrot, cleaned & fine diced
1 red pepper, cleaned & fine diced
2 c. spicy Italian sausage, broken into little pieces
2 c chicken breast
Corn starch for dusting chicken
4 green onions, chopped
2/3 c Korean BBQ
3 T sweet Thai chili sauce
1 T molasses
1 t chopped garlic
handful of cashews


Method:
In sauce pot, heat stock with rice, butter, salt & pepper on medium heat for 15-20 minutes covered.
In wok or large sauté pan,  brown sausage on medium heat.  Once brown, add carrots &  red peppers.
Add sweet Thai chili, molasses & Korean BBQ sauce.
Saute chicken in separate pan with a touch of oil.  lightly tossed with cornstarch.  Pull
Add chipped garlic, green onions & cashews.
Finally, stir in rice, turn up to high heat to brown rice, mixing occasionally.
Enjoy.

Popular Posts