U2, Eataly, The Drake & Chi-town

Back in 2001, I was given a asked to go to a show by the guys I worked for at the time.  I already knew who U2 was and what their legacy in music seemed to be.  I was excited to check them out live for the first time.  It was May 3, 2001 and they came to Cleveland to the Gund Arena.  I had club seats, I took my brother in law.  We had no smart phones, no digital recording devices, no cares...

What I knew was this...  this was a political band, a soulful band with a purpose, I was 28 and married with no kids.  My biggest challenge was not where to eat, rather, where to park cheapest!.

What I didn't know was this...  this was not music, but, an experience second to none.  I listened to lyrics before but, I can't say I ever really "Heard" the lyrics before that night.  These were men of faith.  Men of faith in humanity, Men of faith in Family and Men in faith to themselves.  Solid!

This started my love affair with a band that for years I discounted but, as I go back and listen to their lyrics now and really Hear them, these are not only the songs of my life but, songs that helped shape my life.

Last week, I saw my fourth U2 show, the second with my bride.  I wish I had more time and money to see a thousand more shows.  A great experience in a Great city with great people.  We spent our days like true Chicagoans exploring the city, Grabbing some delicious grub throughout and shopping (Christmas) and otherwise.  Eataly is a Mecca of all things mostly edible and always Italian.  A fantastic place to spend a day... and a lot of $$$!  We stayed at the famed Drake Hotel and I think anyone going to Chicago should stay there.  You could throw a rock and hit the Hancock building from our room and the proximity to the lake was crazy good.  Cheers to you Windy City!  See you soon!


Cheers!

Potato pancake poutine

4 baked potatoes, halved and smashed
1/2 c rice flour
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
1ea 8 oz block sharp cheddar cheese, chunked by hand
2 c. rich brown gravy or demi glace(heated)
1/4 c. chopped green onions
1/2 c. butter or liquid butter

Method:
1.Heat butter in saute pan
2.dredge potato halves in rice flour
3.pan fry until crunchy on both sides
4.finish in oven for 2-3 minutes at 325 degrees
5.top with cheese chunks, gravy and green onions








Popular Posts